Bunker Hill Village
Bunker Hill Village subdivision, is one of six Memorial Villages, with a total land area of just over 1.5 miles, and is located just east of the Memorial Park and the 610 Loop. It is bounded on the east by Blalock Road near Piney Point Village, to the north by Hedwig Village and Memorial Woods, to the west by Memorial Forest and Frostwood, and to the south by Lakeview and Whispering Oaks. As of the 2000 census, the population was 3,654 with approximately 1,307 homes. Like so many places in the Memorial area, the homes in Hedwig Village were constructed over a wide time period.
Early in its history, Bunker Hill Village consisted of a settlement of German farmers who, attracted by its verdant forest of pines and hardwoods, established sawmills to cut timber. In fact, Harris County highway maps as late as 1936 still showed the existence of several sawmills. In the mid-1950s, effort to form a Spring Branch municipality failed. As the community evolved, residents concerned that the area's quiet, wooded environment might fall victim to overdevelopment and annexation as Houston's growth drew ever nearer. The city incorporated in December 1954 with a mayor-council government system, zoning ordinances, zoning regulations and tax rate to ensure that its charm and country-estate atmosphere could be preserved for future generations. In 1962 the city had 2,216 people. By 1966 Bunker Hill Village became affluent and had two public schools and two churches. In 1981 4,442 people lived in Bunker Hill Village. Only single-family homes are permitted in Bunker Hill Village with a minimum lot size of 10,000 square feet in District B and 20,000 square feet in District A.
Students living in Bunker Hill Village attend schools served by the Spring Branch Independent School District. All residents are assigned to Wildcat Way School in Houston for preschool. With two elementary schools, Bunker Hill Elementary School and Frostwood Elementary School are located in the city limits and serve two separate portions of Bunker Hill Village. A small portion is served by Memorial Drive Elementary School in Piney Point Village. The Western portion of Bunker Hill Village is served by Memorial Middle School (in Houston), while the eastern portion is served by Spring Branch Middle School (in Hedwig Village). All of Bunker Hill Village is served by Memorial High School, which is located in Hedwig Village.
Residents in Bunker Hill Village benefit not only from their own elected mayor-council system, zoning ordinances, zoning regulations and tax rate, but also from the excellent Memorial Villages Police Department and equally regarded Village Fire Department. In addition, the village is within the Memorial Villages Water Authority.
The Harris County Public Library (HCPL) system operates the Spring Branch Memorial Branch at 930 Corbindale Road in Hedwig Village. The 10,500-square-foot branch opened in 1975.