Homes for Sale in Hedwig Village
Homes for Rent in Hedwig Village
Hedwig Village (77024)
Hedwig Village (Est. 1954) subdivision, is one of six Memorial Villages, and is located in west Houston and is bounded by I-10 to the north, Taylorcrest Road to the south, Bunker Hill Road to the west and Voss Road to the east. This community encompasses about a square mile and is among the smallest incorporated municipalities in metropolitan Harris County.
Originally part of the John D. Taylor and Isaac Bunker leagues on land granted to Stephen F. Austin by Mexico in 1824, and rumored to be a favored camping ground for Sam Houston's forces in Texas' early history; Hedwig Village was eventually settled many decades later mostly by German farmers. One of them was Hedwig Jankowski Schroeder, only 19 years old when she emigrated from Germany to Texas with her husband in 1906 and purchased a large tract of land for 25 cents an acre so they could farm. But it was she who, many years later, generously donated seven acres to the county as a right-of-way for what today is Hedwig Road, and thus guaranteed her place in area history and how Hedwig Village's name originated.
In the mid 1950s, effort to form a Spring Branch municipality failed. Hedwig Village was incorporated on December 23, 1954 and established a zoning ordinance in 1955. In 1960, the city had 1,182 residents. By 1966, the community had two schools, one library, and two churches. By 1970, the city had 3,255 residents, and in 1971 the city completed a park. The city had 3,994 residents in 1980 and 2,616 in 1990. Today, this small community is separated into many sections, including Hedwig Circle - the site of the neighborhood’s first homes back in the 1950's.
Most of the homes in Hedwig Village date from the 1950s through the current year. Some gorgeous estate homes are currently under construction and some of their lots have already established stately trees. Village lots are large; at least one is over 30,000 square feet. Hedwig Village is dedicated to single-family homes with a minimum lot size of 15,000 square feet in one area and 21,000 square feet in another. It also has a self-contained commercial zone featuring the services of banks, grocers, retail establishments and restaurants. Styles range from mid-twentieth century contemporary to traditional and Mediterranean.
Students living in Hedwig Village are served by the Spring Branch Independent School District, which also has its headquarters in Hedwig Village. All students are assigned to Wildcat Way School in Houston for preschool. Some Hedwig Village students are zoned to Memorial Drive Elementary School in Piney Point Village. Some Hedwig Village students are zoned to Bunker Hill Elementary School in Bunker Hill Village. All Hedwig Village students are zoned to Spring Branch Middle School and Memorial High School, which are also located in Hedwig Village. The following private schools serve Hedwig Village; St. Cecelia Catholic School, Duchesne Academy and The Kinkaid School.
Residents in Hedwig Village benefit not only from their own elected mayor-council system, zoning ordinances, zoning regulations and tax rate, but also from the excellent Memorial Villages Police Department and equally regarded Village Fire Department. In addition, the village is within the Memorial Villages Water Authority. The Harris County Public Library (HCPL) system operates the Spring Branch Memorial Branch at 930 Corbindale Road in Hedwig Village. The 10,500-square-foot branch opened in 1975.